Northern Hills by Choice
Northern Hills by Choice (NHBC) is the Black Hills Area Community Foundation’s (BHACF) giving society comprised of people from the Northern Black Hills who love their community and understand that philanthropy helps preserve the unique heritage and character of our area.
NHBC supports a wide variety of proposals. Requests can address issues related to: Arts and Culture, Environment and Natural Resources, Community and Economic Development, Youth, Social Services, Education, and Animal Welfare. Grants will be distributed for charitable work in Lawrence, Meade and Butte County.
- Applicants must be an IRS 501(c)3 public charity, school, government entity or religious organization in good standing with the IRS.
- Requested support must be for organizations or activities that take place in one or more counties in the geographic focus of the Northern Black Hills.
- The following areas, for the purposes of this grant opportunity, are defined as the Northern Hills: Lawrence, Meade and Butte Counties.
What Types of Projects Are NOT Funded?
Grants will not be awarded to support religious activity, political activity, fundraisers or benefits, debt retirement, or organizations working to primarily influence legislation. Supported activities may NOT discriminate against any individual or group based on race, gender, gender expression, age, disability, religion, ethnic or national origin, or otherwise legally protected groups. Funding for multi-year projects or support will not be considered.
Grant Review Criteria
In reviewing applications, NHBC will consider the following criteria:
- The organization or project must respond to a clear and compelling community need in the Northern Black Hills area.
- The organization should demonstrate that they have the operational capacity, the staff and the leadership to carry out the efforts proposed.
Please include a simple line-item budget for the proposed project.